Share it!



share/bookmark

How to Learn Mandarin Chinese Online Plus 4 Tips for Learning Chinese Vocabulary


Learning Mandarin Chinese online is actually quite easy. Once you find a suitable course (read to the end to find out about my favorite online Chinese language course), you can log on from any computer and view the lessons, chat with other learners and play interactive learning games.

Here are 4 tips that will aid you in learning Mandarin.

1. Flash Cards Since I began studying Chinese I have always used flash cards. At first I made my own on index cards but then I found some online that I bought. You can make your own by writing the character on one side (with or without the pin yin) and the English translation on the back. I kept the pin yin on the back with the English so as to force myself to be able to recognize the character. As I studied each lesson, I would make flash cards for each word that I wasn't able to easily recognize. I keep them with me throughout the day so that I can pick them up to study when I have a few minutes to spare. I have also used them with a pocket chart (like kindergarten teachers have!) on my wall. I keep them there and use them to make sentences or phrases.

2. Label Items Around the House This idea came to me from when I did my student teaching in a kindergarten. The teacher labeled everything in English and Spanish so the kids would get a feel for what the letters and words looked like. Although it's a very simple idea, it works just as well for adults and with any language, including Mandarin. Don't try to over do it though. I will take time to write out the labels (I use sticky notes) and post them. Try making them as you learn the vocabulary. Or do one room at a time. For these, I do like to put the pin yin with the character, at least for the first month or two.

3. Write Sentences After your first few lessons, start writing sentences using your new words. If you have to include a little English in them, that's fine. Just get a feel for using the vocabulary. Note that English and Chinese grammar are quite different so your aim should be for using the words and not worry much about grammar at first. Keep this in a notebook so you can look back at your progress.

4. Listen to Audio Make sure to listen to the audio that comes with your course and also look for podcasts that teach or are spoken in Mandarin. Keep them on your iPod or mp3 player to listen to on your commute or during your workout. It will keep the target vocabulary in your mind while you are doing seemingly mindless activities.




Check out my favorite Mandarin Chinese online course, Let's Learn Chinese, which includes interactive modules and a 24/7 learners forum! If you are at all serious about learning Mandarin Chinese online, this is for you. Head over there to see for yourself and get started on the road to learning success at Let's Learn Chinese.info




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Share